Friday, May 13, 2011

Recipe and Quote of the Day!

This is my own recipe for a breakfast casserole that can last you for the week. It's great for the people who need to leave early in the morning for work. I'll make it Sunday evening to have ready for the week. You can take this recipe and make it your own adding whatever spices or alternative veggies you may like!

Melisa's Breakfast Casserole

  • 4 eggs and 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 - 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 small onion or 3-4 green onion stalks, diced (I prefer green onion)
  • 1 cup of whatever peppers I have red, green or yellow, diced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley
  • 8 oz organic chicken sausage whatever flavor I'm in the mood for or whatever I have in the fridge
  • salt & pepper to taste

The sausage is usually a link sausage. I remove the casing and completely ground it as if it were any other grounded meat. I brown the sausage in some coconut oil. Once the sausage is almost done I add all the veggies and saute for a few minutes. Once that's done, I whisk the eggs and add all my seasonings normally salt and pepper is enough because the sausage already has plenty of flavor. Pour the eggs and mix in the sausage all into a 2 QT baking dish (I rub olive oil with a napkin all over the dish). Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until the eggs have set. You should be able to stick a toothpick in and have it come out clean and dry.

This makes approximately 6 servings.

Quote of the Day!

"To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence."

Arthur Schopenhauer

1 comment: